File Search is an essential part of Alfred's search functionality. It allows you to expand your search, navigate your Mac's directories and take action on files you find.
Using File Search
When you need to expand your search scope beyond the basic file types included in Alfred's Default Results, the File Search keywords are here to help you.
- Use the "open" keyword to open a file (or press the spacebar as a shortcut)
- Use the "find" keyword to reveal the file in Finder
- Use the "in" keyword to search inside your files' content
You can customise these keywords in the Features > File Search preferences.
You can also choose which file types Alfred should not show in the results, and how many results Alfred should present.
The following features are available to Powerpack users only.
Using File Navigation
Start navigating the file system from Alfred's Default Results window by typing / to take you to the root folder or ~ to take you to your home folder.
You can tweak which keys are used to navigate through and open folders in File Navigation in the Features > File Search > Navigation preferences.
Using the File Buffer
The File Buffer allows you to select multiple files and add them to a buffer. You can then take action on these files all at once!
The buffer is controlled by using the ⌥ (Alt) key in combination with the selected file in Alfred's results.
- ⌥↑ to add a file to the buffer from Alfred's results
- ⌥↓ to add a file and move to the next item in your list of results
- ⌥← to remove the last item from the buffer
- ⌥→ to action all items in the buffer
- ⌥ backspace to remove all items from the buffer
You can modify some of the preferences in Alfred's Preferences under Features > File Buffer.
Using File Actions
Powerpack users can access the Actions panel either by choosing a file in Alfred and pressing the right arrow, or by selecting a file in Finder or another application and using the hotkey below.
File actions let you do a number of actions (depending on file type):
- See recent documents for this app
- Browse a folder in Alfred
- Show the app's package contents
- Open (with the default app or a specific app)
- Reveal in Finder
- Get Info
- Copy or Move to a new location
- Email to a Contact
- Find similar files
- Open Terminal to the given path
- Copy the file's path to Clipboard
You can disable some of the default actions in Features > File Search > Actions, and you can add your own via the workflows' File Action trigger.